Sunday, December 12, 2010

Other Relevant Tidbits

Throughout the semester, I did a lot more than figure out what my learning style is. I would like to touch on some of the other ideas and topics we discussed that stood out to me.

UW-Madison possesses an admirable quality which makes it unique from other universities--it is a research institution. When I first knew of this, I thought it would mean that the university is using students to do research for them, and we as students would be paying tuition to do research. I found out that this is not the case, and research is in fact something that makes our university special and is an unbelievable opportunity for students to partake in.

It didn't work out for me this semester, but I would love to be able to participate in research maybe next year. It is an incredible opportunity that not many students get to take advantage of, but I would love to be a part of it.


During a separate class period, we discussed our identities, and made a "grub box" by creating a collage with different aspects about us on it. I think it is important to understand yourself, because if you don't, how can other people understand you? You first need to know who you are before you can decide where to go and who to be around and how you are going to get there. College helps you find yourself, and doing so will allow one to be much more successful. I am currently trying to figure out who I am and who I want to be...I have been getting closer, but this is definitely a complex idea that takes awhile to develop an ending solution!

Prior to a specific class period, I didn't understand what a liberal education was. I now know that it can somewhat be described as "well-rounded". Being a liberally educated individual means you have explored all different areas of academics, allowing you to be comprehensive in many areas and understand infinite aspects about the world around you. You can take away information from many different reading sources, and you can make a conversation with anyone. You are interested in what other people have to say, and want to know about the person you're conversing with. You spend time in thought, and are able to write clearly and effectively.

We discussed how many students, freshman especially, don't understand the value of a liberal education at first. Sometimes while taking a class that doesn't directly apply to your major, students may feel frustrated when they aren't doing well because they feel it doesn't matter. Even during my Econ class, I have sometimes felt annoyed about material I had to learn because I didn't understand how it was going to help me become a pharmacist. However, I am realizing that every class is important; whether it teaches you a different skill or gives you new knowledge, it definitely improves your college experience in some way, shape or form.

No comments:

Post a Comment